What is Meditation ?
Overview of Dhyana Yoga ( Meditation ):
Dhyata, Dhyana and Dheya are three components of Yoga. Dhyata (Practitioner) uses Dhyana (Meditation/means) for Dheya (Aim/mission). Dheya is Yoga that means a state of missionary. Meditation is the final key or switch for Yoga. Yoga is more about meditation(Dhyana Yoga). By ethics, Meditation is itself yoga; or Yoga is itself Meditation. Meitation is seventh limb of Ashtanga Yoga and sixth limb of Hatha Yoga.
“Yogashchittavrittinirodhah”-PYS 1.2. Maharshi Patanjali has defined Yoga. Yoga is the cessation of the fluctuations of thoughts in Chitta; Chitta is more about the Mind with Egos, Intellect and Conscious. Yoga is the restraint of the whirls of the mind stuff. Yoga is the absolute purity of Mind and soul, whereas the Meditation is the means for keeping the purity of mind and also making the cessation of mind from firing of thoughts. Meditation is the state of devoid.
Meditation is simply a journey from outer world to inner world. It is an adventure into silence. Meditation means the act of exercising the mind in contemplation. One meditates on a subject, when one focuses one’s attention on it in this manner. In fact, calmness and stillness are not the natural properties of mind which is always in motion and whirling motion. The natural motion of mind is vertical. It is usually in whirls.
Meditation in Hindu Culture :
The Bhagavat Geetaa has emphasized the fact that mind is always in motion, and that the moving nature of mind is to be controlled. The Geetaa admits that it is difficult to control the mind; still it prescribes yogic methods to restrain and calm the mind, if one sincerely and silently practices the prescribed yogic methods and techniques.
“Tatra pratya yaika-taanataa dhyaanam”.- PYS 3.2. In that is the condition for the singular, uninterrupted reflection of a profound spiritual character that is Meditation (Dhyaana).Patanjali had recognized the importance of dhyana yoga at an earlier poin. It is useful in helping yogis overcome the residual dispositions that remain after the yogi had undertaken the psychoanalytic exploration into the historical root of a present aversion
Preparation for Meditation :
In fact, Meditation is common tool for each yogic Kriyas. Every practice in Yoga is itself meditation or way of meditation.
Some fundamental things for meditation are :
The Place, The time, The Nature, The Atmosphere, The purity, Punctuality, The clothes, The bath,
Pre-activities for Meditation:
- Prayer – OM Chants 3 times and Guru Mantra -3 times “Om Shree Gurave Namah”
- Subtle Exercise (Pre meditative Acts) – Toes flex; Ankle rotate; Knee bend; Hip rotate; Baby Rock, Butter fly. Shoulder Joint rotate, Neck rotate; Simple spinal twist;
- Asana – As need assessment, different asanas series on counter base and effort.
- Pranayama – attempt Nadi Shodan, Ujjayi, and Bharamari at least,
- Mudras: Gyana Mudra, Prana Mudra, Aakashi Mudra,
- Bandhas – Jalandhara, Uddiyana, Moola Bandhas
- Yoga-Nidra: An art of physical, mental and emotional relaxation and balance and Sleeping Meditation
- Dhyana Yoga (Meditation) – There are thousands of techniques for meditation such as Vipasana Dhyana, Aajapa Japa Dhyana, Nadabrahma Dhyana, Mantra Dhyana, Bhagavatiya Dhyana, Mudra Dhyana, etc.